Caitlin's Blog About Moving From Seattle to New York, VIA Chicago and Guatemala

See title.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Somos Hijos Del Lago

This translates to- We Are The Children of the Lake. Today was my second day of volunteering there. I basically play with kids and adults with different disabilities. And I mean DIFFERENT. Basically anyone with any sort of disability is at this organization. Mental and physical. It is the only one of it{s kind for probably the entire lake.

Today there was a big fiesta in the afternoon because the center wasn{t able to celebrate National Kids Day on its actual day (October 1st) because it fell on a Sunday. While the cake, dancing, and presents, were a lot of fun... this place is also kind of sad. When I walked in yesterday and said I wanted to volunteer, I was asked to give my first name and the country I was from. And then they gave me two mentally retarded boys to look after for two hours.

Today, a girl was sitting on my lap, and I suddenly felt like I needed to cough. I realized that it wasn{t my flemmy lungs I was feeling... I could feel how hard it was the girl to breathe. And healthcare isn{t all that good down here. And I felt like Scrooge in A Christmas Carol when he asks the ghost of christmas present if Tiny Tim will live.

I know it{s not yet Christmas or Thanksgiving, but if you have any extra dollars, people here really need your help. Here{s their info-
www.atitlanonline/somoshijosdellago.com
somoshijosdellago@yahoo.com

Donations of money can be sent by Western Union to BANRURAL account 3093009736 TO THE ACCOUNT OF SOMOS HIJOS DEL LAGO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home