Caitlin's Blog About Moving From Seattle to New York, VIA Chicago and Guatemala

See title.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Difference Between the Verbs "HIKE" and "WALK"

Here are some uses of the verb "walk":

I will WALK to the store to buy some ice cream.

I WALKed to my friends house down the street.

They will WALK for 15 minutes each day.

Here are some uses of the verb "hike":

We HIKEd up a 500 meter mountain in two hours.

I will HIKE across this trail really really high up and if I fall I will hurt myself really badly.

I will HIKE for hours on end and it will hurt my knees.

I was very suprised to realize that I didn't really understand the differences between these two verbs. The hike to San Pedro was killer- in both good and bad ways. There were some parts that were a little scary for me (who has something of a fear of open heights), but ultimately, nothing really dangerous (mom and dad and family don't worry). And one cannot WALK to the top of Lago de Atitlan and witness one of the most beautiful sunrises ever. It is not possible.

Overall, thumbs up. Although my right knee still hurts a bit. Stupid downhill hiking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home